Monday, April 1, 2013

Web Journal

My position. I find this post difficult to write, because I never have been able to clearly define my position. Those who are strongly pro-Palestine often see me as biased for the pro-Israel side. Those who relate to the pro-Israel views have seen me as more neutral or even pro-Palestine before. But I hate these terms, pro-Palestine and pro-Israel. They make it seem that one can only pick one side. And no, I'm not going to go into the whole "pro-peace" thing either, because while it's a beautiful idea, I don't think it is going to get us anywhere.

So where was my position, and where is it now?

I used to say I supported Israel everything. I was an avid AIPAC supporter, and while I felt for the Palestinian people, I could care less for their political establishment. To some degree, this is what I was taught by a majority of the American and Jewish public. At least that's what I thought. But that was long ago.

I lived in Israel for a year. I was on a Zionist program. I wrestled with Zionism, and found that I could be a Zionist while also feeling compassion for the Palestinian situation. When the term "Zionist" is used in a negative context, I am disgusted. Because I see it as nationalism, and as pride. For what we do have, and the idea of what we want. I won't go into who I see as "we."

So I am a Zionist. But still, where do I stand? My views in fact became a bit jaded while living in Israel and learning and experiencing the reality of the situation. I began to feel a connection to both narratives, and felt sorry for the situation as a whole. But I didn't see it going anywhere.

This is where the position that I began the class with and I still have was born. I believe that until major changes are made in the political and social institutions that represent both parties in the conflict, there is no way we can achieve peace. I would love peace, but as I have stated numerous times previously, I don't see it happening. So I want to make the best of what we have. Create a status-quo that is habitable. Create stability until there is actual evidence that the two parties want change. That evidence is not yet transparent.

With this class, my position has in fact strengthened. I love the dialogue that we have engaged in, and I have thoroughly enjoyed hearing the opinions of others. This is good. It is step one. But, where do we go from here? I don't know. I feel that it is very hard to move on when we hear other opinions, but we still identify them as "other opinions."

This post is all a bit gloomy, but I think that is the reality I have come to accept. I love Israel. I love Palestine. I love politics. I want to learn more about them, experience them more, and continue to pursue a greater understanding, but I am not quite sure why other than the fact that I cannot stay away. It's too exciting. Maybe I'll find the answer in the next step of my journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment