Monday, March 4, 2013

Rap/Channels of Rage Response

Channels of Rage seems like an interesting portrayal of the conflict. I am familiar with Subliminal's music, and while I have not heard Tamer Nafar's music, I have listened to a variety of other Palestinian-Israeli artists who use music to express their view of the political situation.

I think that, just as I have previously discussed on the topic of photography, music is an incredible way to express one's self, especially in regards to political conflict. I think it's very interesting how within the Israeli/Palestinian realm, there are many similarities when it comes to music with opposing viewpoints. Much of the music has similar rhythms, instruments, and generally sounds the same. I find it very intriguing how modern Israeli and Palestinian musicians (and musical activists- a term that I think properly represents many of these people) often use current music styles, such as rock and rap, but intertwine them with traditional regional instruments and melodies.


In the 2nd Channels of Rage article, it mentioned something that "Violence wasn’t the only reason that the two close friends came to blows; the media also created fireworks. As the rappers gained prominence, different media outlets capitalized on the controversy. Media outlets have agendas, and controversial figures, whether venerated or vilified, can be exploited to serve those agendas. Leftist newspapers ran headlines such as “Subliminal against the left wing,” categorizing his songs as “racist hate music,” while right-wing magazines claimed he “symbolizes patriotism.” " I find this point interesting and something that we need to focus on. This movie documents something through somebody's eyes. We are not able to see the situation for ourselves, and while I am very excited to view the film, I plan to take it, as I do everything else focused on this matter, as something that expresses an opinion. It is important to not let one source or one opinion form our own opinions.

In the first Channels of Rage article, we read that "This movie is different from the other movies covered in this guide in two respects: it is a documentary, and it relies heavily on music and lyrics for character development, narration of a historical period, and representation of ideological beliefs and social realities." I think this concept is very interesting because we are able to read into the situation as we wish, as an interpretation of music and lyrics rather than biased statements. This idea is similar to the idea of leaving controversial photographs without captions.

My last comments will focus on the UN:Women article about the DAM song entitled: If I Could Go Back in Time. This song is meaningful, but the video is quite disturbing. As I watched the video, the imagery was something that I cannot imagine would pass in other music circles. The chorus itself is actually quite soft and even touching, saying "If I could go back in time/‏I would smile/Fall in love/Sing/If I could go back in time/‏I would draw/Write/Sing." This song can serve an important role in lots of circles. Within the Palestinian activism realm, it shows that the Israeli situation is not the only issue. Within the Women's rights realm, it shows that there are similar issues around the world. And within the realm of the United Nations, the fact that UN: Women made a statement on this song means that the role Palestine plays in global affairs is constantly changing. I think its interesting how a song can portray such a variety of meanings when we look at it with an open mind, and recognize that everyone just wants to be heard, and as band member Tamer Nafar said at a press conference held in Ramallah... “We wrote this song because we think that everyone should have this opportunity to do what he/she aspires and be allowed to dream." That is a beautiful message that everyone should take home, independent of their views on the greater conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment