Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Reading Response

The websites of the different LGBTQ organizations were very intriguing. The cause of LGBTQ rights in Israel and Palestine is clearly an interest of the more liberal-leaning side of the political spectrum. And this alignment along the spectrum brings up an interesting thought. So often in Israel/Palestinian politics, we align ideas and issues along a 2 dimensional political spectrum. Yet as we dig deeper and deeper, I find it hard to see such a distinct spectrum. The left/right alignment of LGBTQ issues are not necessarily parallel to security issues, or humanitarian issues.

This idea is one which I tend to find myself struggling with quite often. Whereas in US politics, I find myself very left-aligned, when it comes to Israeli/Palestinian politics, I am all over the board. I find myself to be very pro-humanitarian issues (left) but more center-right when it comes to security. These two identifications don't necessarily agree with each other. But I think this way because to me, security is a short term issue, meaning that it is crucial that people are safe now. But, humanitarian concerns create a difficulty, because it is sometimes hard to protect people without appearing to be violating the rights of others.

But back to LGBTQ matters in Jerusalem. I think it is clear that the number of activists in this field are growing in Jerusalem, but because of the sheer nature of Jerusalem, as an incredibly religious city, I unfortunately do not see the LGBTQ community becoming as large or accepted as it is in Jerusalem. While I don't agree or necessarily understand why this issue is not as accepted by those following "traditional" or "religious" teachings, cultures, or lifestyles, the two just don't seem to fit together.

I was in Jerusalem during the 2011 Jerusalem pride festival. It was an interesting image. First, I did see Arab Palestinians as well as Israeli Jews. The colors of the parade did not quite seem to fit with the image of Jerusalem. Such an old image, with faded colors, mixed with the bright, progressive colors of the movement. It was a challenging image. It was exciting, but it made me wonder how far the activists could really get in Jerusalem. The work that LGBTQ activists are doing in Jerusalem is beginning to grow in Jerusalem, but where do they hope to get? The number of Ultra-Orthodox Haredi Jews who opposed, verbally and even violently, these movements, is saddening and challenging. If this group in becoming a growing majority, is the fight even worth it? Or should the efforts be focused on other locations where theres more possibility for success?

I don't necessarily agree with this idea of giving up, but in the grand scheme of things, I see it to be fairly similar to to the idea of a two-state solution. Can the proposed solution of an international Jerusalem be seen as giving up? This idea is often seen as the best (although proponents of this are lessening) choice for a solution, but I think the reason it won't ever work is because both sides would be winning, but also both would be losing.

So where do we stand on the conflict, and where do we stand on LGBTQ issues? What can we do for either? Can this ever be solved?



2 comments:

  1. I like that you mentioned that you have a conflicting interest between humanitarianism and security. That's probably my biggest issue with choosing a side of the conflict as well. On the one hand, I would like to see Palestinians receiving the same rights as Israelis. However, there's a huge safety risk with allowing this type of freedom. I tend to rationalize Israel's lack of sympathy for Palestinians with the idea that they must know the risks better then we do and believe the risks currently outweigh the benefit of giving Palestinians these freedoms. So that's why I tend to lean more towards the Israeli's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think personally the issue of LGBTQ individuals being persecuted in Israel isn't a Palestinian versus Israeli issue necessarily, but that the on going conflict between the two and the history of the region has set a precedence for discrimination on these people by both groups regardless of whether or not they are Palestinian or Israeli.

    ReplyDelete