Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Weblog #4

Let's talk about the beat of my life. Music follows me. Often times, I find that there is a song in the background that fits into whatever I am doing. While I sometimes am the cause of this, I seem to find myself in settings where the music presents itself.

This sounds extremely out there, but its not some statement with a higher meaning. When I listen for it, there is a soundtrack to my life. It defines me. I don't listen to just the newest fad, or any one genre for that matter. I listen to whatever I want. Sometimes the familiar, sometimes completely new and unknown. A situation that I often run into is getting an alert on my computer telling me my iPhone is full... of music. I am grateful for technology, because it has allowed me to carry the equivalent of hundreds, even thousands, of CD's or records, in my pocket on a daily basis. The music that I choose every morning on my walk to class often sticks with me for the whole day. A result of my mood, how tired I am, even the weather, that early morning music choice affects my whole day. 

The beat of my music transforms the beat of my steps. Music can change the way I interact with others, and the way I interact with memories. Often, I will use music to stay in touch with something, someone, or somewhere I have interacted with in the past. I think this is interesting with relevence to conflict, because music can keep us tied to the past, or mix together with other styles and help us progress. It can set the pace for the future. It definitely helps us communicate with each other, because music is an easier way to express emotion than simple words. Can music actually change the future, the Israeli/Palestinian situation, or the world? I don't know. But can it change how people feel about one another? Without a doubt. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said, Ethan! Really...I understand what you mean...music can so affect every part of our day...it's even possible to reach back and remember a song, only to connect a special memory with it that you might have forgotten...I heard a song in the bank the other day that took me back 38 years, and could still smile! Music makes possible what words might muddle up....It's not like the conflict hasn't been muddled up thus far...music could only surely help soften hearts and minds...maybe music can take them to a common point of memories, or a common dream that still lies ahead.....

    ReplyDelete